At the Terminal Ramp in the Hickory Regional Airport
The Hickory Municipal Airport was first opened to aircraft traffic on May 17, 1940. At that time, there were two unpaved runways that were 2,700 and 3,100 feet in length.
Since initial construction, runway 6/24 has been extended in length twice, to its current length of 6,402 feet. A full Instrument Landing System (ILS) has been installed on runway 24, and was commissioned during the calendar year, 1977. An Approach Lighting System has also been installed on this runway.
In the Fall of 1973, the Federal Aviation Administration, following much planning and work, commissioned an Air Traffic Control Tower at the Hickory Airport, and since that time,all aircraft movement on the Air Operations Areas of the Airport and all aircraft movement within the control zone of the airport, a five mile radius, has been under the supervision and control of personnel in the Control Tower.
The Hickory Regional Airport is not currently served by any commercial airline. The closest commercial service airports are Charlotte and Greensboro.
Several links to the Hickory Regional Airport: